Kenny B. Edwards, M.D.
Kenny B. Edwards, M.D.
Dr. Edwards serves as one of our team orthopaedic doctors and spine surgeons for Mississippi State University, East Mississippi Community College, and Mississippi University for Women. As an expert in treating back injuries and neck injuries, when needed, he helps ensure athletes are safe to continue playing. With the demands of high-level coaching, many coaches seek out Dr. Edwards to help with their back pain and neck pain as well.
When a patient comes to see Dr. Edwards with a bad back or stiff neck, he knows the importance of identifying the cause and relieving their pain and improving their function. Sometimes it is a back strain or neck strain, pinched nerve, sciatica, bulging disc or herniated disc that causes this discomfort. For these patients, Dr. Edwards works with our specially trained spine physical therapists to alleviate pain with a therapy protocol to help regain mobility and strengthen the neck or back. At other times, he consults with his Columbus Ortho pain management partner to help his patients ease their pain without surgery.
However, when pain persists or conditions like ruptured disks or herniated discs, spine arthritis, spine fractures, or stenosis are present, Dr. Edwards may suggest spine surgery. As a fellowship-trained spine surgeon, Dr. Edwards is specially trained to offer discectomy, laminectomy, fusion or artificial disks. Many of these spine procedures can be done as an outpatient procedure in the surgery center next door. This allows patients to recover in the comfort of their own home with friends and family versus a hospital.
Dr. Edwards grew up near Columbus, Mississippi and later married his childhood sweetheart. He served in the U.S. Navy and graduated Magna Cum Laude from Mississippi State University with a degree in Biological Sciences. Dr. Edwards completed medical school and his orthopaedic residency at Wright State University – Boonshoft School of Medicine. Then, he spent an extra year of fellowship-training in orthopaedic spine at The Texas Back Institute. Dr. Edwards is Board Certified by the American Board of Spine Surgery. Dr. Edwards was recently featured in an impressive article published by The Dispatch detailing his journey from childhood to orthopedic surgeon. You can read along here: Partial to Home: From the milk barn to the OR – The Dispatch (cdispatch.com)
Dr. Edwards and his wife treasure the time they have with their three children. He also enjoys hunting and can often be found on a tractor.
- Undergraduate: B.S. 2000, Mississippi State University
- Medical School: M.D. 2006, Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio
- Internship: Wright State University 2006-2007 Orthopaedic Surgery
- Residency: Wright State University 2007-2011 Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellowship: Texas Back Institute (ACGME Accredited Program) Spine Surgery
Awards and Accomplishments:
- Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma (JOT) Best PGY-3 Orthopaedic Teaching Resident
- Magna Cum Laude
- President’s Scholar (6 times)
- Dean’s Scholar
- Outstanding Medical Student Scholarships (2 years)
- Navy Letter of Appreciation
- Navy Sailor of the Quarter
- Honorable Military Discharge
- Beta Beta Beta
- Phi Kappa Phi
Membership and Honorary/Professional Societies:
- NASS (North American Spine Society)
- AO Spine Society
- AO Trauma Society
- ISASS (International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery)
- Mississippi Board of Medical Licensure
- Texas Medical Board
- Texas Medical Association
- American Medical Association
- Student National Medical Association
- National Board of Respiratory Care
- American Association of Respiratory Care
- 2012 XLIF – Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion
- Podium Presentation – ISASS
- Barcelona, Spain (March 2012)
- 2008 Distal Third Clavicle Fixation: A Biomechanical Evaluation of Fixation
- Kenny B. Edwards, MD: L. Joseph Rubino, MD: Michael A Herbenick, MD
- Tarun Goswami, PhD
- (Submitted for publication in American Journal of Sports Medicine)