Columbus Orthopaedic physicians have been chosen as the team doctors for sports medicine and orthopedics for Mississippi State University, East Mississippi Community College and many local school athletic programs. Frequently, you will see them on the sidelines or on the field evaluating athletes, accessing injuries and determining the safety of the athlete to return to the game.
Our specially trained orthopedic surgeons, sports medicine specialists, spine surgeons and pain management specialist provide the highest quality of care to athletes of every level for every sports injury. From high school to collegiate to recreational, our goal is to help every athlete get back into the game and compete at their highest potential. Our team will work with you every step of the way and create personalized treatment plans tailored to your unique needs. Our full scope of services includes injury evaluation, treatment, rehabilitation, follow-up evaluations, sport testing and sport training.
Our sports medicine team of orthopedic surgeons, physical therapists and nurse practitioners provide comprehensive care to each patient. A majority of our physicians, therapists and assistants are former athletes who have personally undergone sports injuries and rehabilitation. Using their own personal experience, they are able to relate to each patient and understand the unique set of challenges athletes endure during the injury and rehabilitation process. They are also able to balance the athletes desire to get back to their sport with the need for rest, recovery and restart activities.
Our Clinic is equipped with advanced, state–of-the art equipment to help patients achieve their goals and return to their sport. Using a variety of specialized therapy techniques allows us to restore mobility, increase flexibility and regain strength.
- Aquatic Therapy: Our Hydroworx pool is equipped with an under water treadmill and multiple camera angles.This type of therapy helps off-load body weight while the water exercises promote healing and strengthen the muscles.
- Dry Needling: Relieve pain and tension with a very fine needle into the skin and muscle that releases strain.
- McKenzie Method: Therapists gained specialized training in an assessment and treatment system that involves moving the body into certain positions or movements to help reduce and manage pain.
- Graston Technique: Stretch and relax muscles with specialty instruments to massage areas around an injury.
- Kinesio Taping Method: Support and stabilize muscles and joints without limiting motion through a specialized taping technique. This taping method also helps alleviate pain and promotes lymphatic drainage.
- Blood Flow Restriction Therapy: Reduce stress on the injury while strengthening injured muscles with a special cuff that applies external pressure while exercising and moving.
- Hand Therapy: We have a team of therapists, including two Certified Hand Therapists, who are specially trained to help you regain your strength, dexterity and maximize your function.
- Biodex Machine: We can measure muscle strength and recovery progress with a computerized fitness machine. It can be used for training or return to sport testing.
- Mulligan Concept/Mobilization with Movement: Each of our therapists have received specialized training in the Mulligan Concept. This is a type of manual therapy that helps restore functional movement with therapist applied force in combination with patient generated movement.
G. Chris Galjour, MD
specialties: Sports Medicine Specialist, Sports Medicine Doctor, Orthopedic Surgeon